For me it feels like the hardest time to walk with God is when everything is just OK. When there are no highs or lows and God is not actively talking to you or lifting you up, that is when it is easy to stray. So how do we avoid this?
Start by taking an honest look at your life and ask yourself three questions: 1) Are you influencing those around you (in a positive, godly way) or are they influencing you? 2) Are you being spiritually minded or carnally minded (Romans 8:5-6)? 3) Are there any unconfessed sins in your life?
As you answer these questions (honestly!) you may start to see why your spiritual life is not flourishing. God may well use spiritually low times to test, strengthen, or prepare us for challenges or blessings that he has planned for you. But those times may also be self-imposed because of sin or because you have been choosing worldly, carnal things over spiritual, godly things.
So how do you break out of the doldrums? Here are some suggestions that may work:
- Confess your sins and repent.
- Get into the word. Read your Bible daily. Joshua 1:8
- Pray and spend some alone time with God. Don’t forget to thank and praise Him even in the low times.
- Get involved with other men. Start discipling someone, or find someone that you look up to who will pour into a discipleship relationship with you. Get involved in some small groups. Get to know some of the other men in your church. You can’t do this alone! Proverbs 27:17
- Have a plan for your life. Whatever form that plan takes make sure you are being spiritually minded, not carnally minded. Be focused on doing all things for God (Colossians 3:23-24) and trust in God for everything (Proverbs 3:5-7).
- Get out and do something! Actions speak louder than words and God has called you to take action for Him. Get out and put your plan into action. Love others as God first loved you (sounds so easy right!). You don’t get to be a closet christian who has his ticket to heaven and then just sits back and watches the world go by. (James 2:14-26)
- And finally, expect God to show up BIG! This is the God of the universe, who created everything and then died for you so that you could be with Him for eternity. Don’t sell Him short and don’t think for a second that he isn’t going to work in you life if you are actively seeking Him. He might not show up in the way you were hoping or expecting (in fact I can almost guarantee that He won’t!), but He will show up perfectly!